Monday, January 9, 2012

Steak with fresh rosemary butter

While one theme of this blog and cookbook is that meat should be viewed as a condiment, if you're going to have meat, eat small,  high quality portions and treat it very, very well.  Last night I was playing around with flavored butters.  I bought very good filet mignon, washed it, dried it, and seasoned it on both sides with a little kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.  I covered it and let it warm to room temperature over the next hour.  To cook it, I first seared it on a hot and lightly oiled iron skillet.  After I flipped it over in the pan, I put a tablespoon of butter into which I mixed in fresh rosemary (from our bush--about 5 'stems' worth of rosemary with about 4 Tbs butter).  Then, into the hot 350°F oven went the 2" thick steaks.  About 15 min later they were ready to serve.  Juicy.  Delicious.


The steak was preceded by an herloom tomato pizza, and pan seared scallops.  The steak was served with mushrooms (2 lbs of mushrooms that I sliced and cooked slowly in a large frying pan in about 1/8th cup of olive oil with half an onion (thinly sliced) and cooked down for about 45 min over low heat).  This was followed by a palate cleaning Meyer lemon sorbet and finished with a pear salad (bosque pairs, mixed with organic greens, and a walnut, wine vinegar and jam dressing).

No comments:

Post a Comment